Sister of Navy SEAL killed in Libya attack speaks out

CBS Boston/Family Photo

From the Boston Globe:

Winchester native among victims of Libya attack

By John R. Ellement, Globe Staff

A Winchester Massachusetts native, who was a former Navy SEAL, is one of four Americans killed in Libya by a mob of Islamic extremists, his sister said today.

Glen Doherty was 42 years old and was working for a private security company when he was killed with US Ambassador John Christopher Stevens in the American consulate in Benghazi Wednesday during what may have been a coordinated terrorist attack.

“He was on security detail and he was protecting the ambassador and also helping the wounded’’ when he was killed, said his sister, Katie Quigly of Marblehead.

Quigley said her family grew up in Winchester and that her brother wanted a life “filled with adrenaline…He was always an adventure seeker.’’

During his 20s, he became a professional ski instructor in Utah, attended flight school in Arizona but also promised himself that if he had not chosen a profession by the time he turned 30, then he would join the Navy and became a SEAL. During his years in the service, he was trained as a sniper and a medical corpsman, she said.

She said her brother was a SEAL for seven years, and then left the service about four years ago, and started working for a private company hired to provide security for American officials overseas.

During his Navy career, Doherty served in Iraq and Afghanistan and while working for the private company he has also spent time in those countries as well as Israel and Kenya. She said her brother had previously done a three month stint in Libya and returned there on Sept. 5.

Quigley said her family was officially notified around 5 p.m. Wednesday that he had been killed. She believes that the incident at the consulate was not a a random act of a few people upset about an inflammatory movie about the Muslim prophet Mohammed.

“I never thought he’d be another victim of September 11,’’ Quigley said.

CLICK HERE to read more from the Boston Globe