On background from a State Department spokesperson:
- The Department of State takes seriously its obligation to assist U.S. citizens abroad, and stands ready to provide all appropriate consular services to U.S. citizens in need.
- We can confirm that U.S. citizen Andrew Tahmooressi was arrested by Mexican immigration authorities upon his arrival in Tijuana on March 31, 2014. He was charged with possession of three firearms.
- Mexican authorities reported to the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana that they were holding a U.S. citizen on April 1. Mr. Tahmooressi was visited by a consular officer that same day.
- Mr. Tahmooressi was moved to El Hongo II prison near Tecate on May 9, and is in a single cell.
- Mr. Tahmooressi’s hearing is scheduled for May 28, 2014.
- Mr. Tahmooressi signed a Privacy Act Waiver that included the press on May 9, 2014.